Tuesday, October 14, 2008

K and sign language

So the other day I was teaching Kadence to sign "drink". She already knows "more" and "all done" so I figured I would move on to drink and eat. I did not really think she had picked up on it too much in just one day but you will never guess what happened this morning. She was eating breakfast while I was paying bills online and walked up to me with a bottle of water in her hands. Of course I already knew what she wanted but I asked her anyway. I said "Kadence do you want a drink of water?" She looked at me and did the sign for drink. I was blown away because I did not think that after one sitting of practicing she would pick up on it so fast. I love sign language for babies.

Just a quick back up story. I spent almost a week teaching Kadence to sign "more" and "all done". One night my mom was babysitting for us and while she was feeding K dinner she decided to teach her some sign language. Can you see where this is going? My mom asked Kadence if she wanted more and when K did the sign my mom was amazed. She thought she had the smartest granddaughter ever...and OF COURSE SHE DOES!!!!

3 comments:

Brianne said...

She is so smart. I also love baby sign language. It helps cut down on tantrums when they are frustrated when they can't communicate what they want. Go K!!

Ginny said...

she is so stinkin smart! and CUTE! It's sooo fun seeing her do all those signs! how exciting! I have the SMARTEST niece in the whole world!

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

Amanda! I love your blog! (I found you through Brianne's blog!) You guys look great and Kadence is seriously TOO CUTE FOR WORDS! I can't believe how big she has gotten! That is great that you teach her sign language. My sister-in-laws kids are OBSESSED with Signing Times. Those DVD's are actually really great for kids and now her kids speak sign language rather fluently! You should check out those videos! They are pretty cool! :)